Kansas City, MO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas

Q: Husband died 6 years ago, Will filed, no probate, everything was joint. Now, found a stock certificate, in his name only

How do I get the stock into my name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Scott C. Stockwell

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: There is a process that allows for use of an affidavit for the heirs at law or beneficiaries of a will to transfer the assets directly to them if the value of the estate is under a certain amount. K.S.A. 59-1507b provides that if the total assets of the decedent subject to probate do not exceed $40,000 in value, any personal property of whatever nature transferrable to the decedent's estate by any entity or person shall be transferred to the successor or successors of the decedent, if entitled thereto by will or by intestate succession, without having been granted letters of administration or letters testamentary, upon such successors' furnishing the entity or person with an affidavit showing entitlement thereto. Six years ago, the limit in the statute may have been $20,000.

You should consult with an attorney to determine if the circumstances of your case would permit the use of a decedent's affidavit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.