Tulsa, OK asked in Real Estate Law for Kansas

Q: My parents sold a piece of property using a quitclaim deed and buyer has not paid.

My parents sold a piece of property using a quitclaim deed and the buyer convinced them that they would receive the funds the following day. The deed was recorded by the title company and the buyers have not paid the seller any funds to date. It has been about 45 days since the deed was recorded. Is best recourse to put a lien on the property, sue in small claims court? Purchase price agreed upon was $3500

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Scott C. Stockwell

  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Your parents should consult with an attorney as soon as possible. There are reasons why a small claims case might not be the optimal course of litigation. There are some unanswered questions that would be better discussed in a confidential communication with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.