Norcross, GA asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: Investment Co. Purchased house next door and had company cut down a tree in our front yard! How should I proceed?

We have a house in Cleveland heights, Ohio which we now use as a rental and has been unoccupied for the past 2 months. Apparently the house next to us sold and an investment team(appears to be a large company) purchased the house next to us. The investment team hired a tree/crane cutting company to remove 4 trees. 1 of the trees they cut was clearly on our property in the front yard, it was a 25 to 30 foot blossoming tree. They also parked their heavy equipment vehicles on our front lawn. I believe they had to cut our tree in order to get the crane vehicle in between the 2 houses.

I contacted the tree company and the man kept apologizing saying he was told our property was under foreclosure(we called to double check, everything is up to date), and it was fine to cut the tree and park on our lawn.

My question is, who is at fault? Who do we go after for, the investment team or tree removal company? Are they both at fault?

1 Lawyer Answer

Bruce Martin Broyles

  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: File a lawsuit. The company trespassed and caused damage to your yard. In addition cutting down an ornamental decorative tree can result in trble damages in Ohio.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.