Deer Park, NY asked in Identity Theft for New York

Q: Father in law using husbands personal information without consent.

My father in law used to live with my husband and I, but he moved away to FL and we dont speak due to unfortunate circumstances. We got paper mail with his name and my husbands name on it. Apparently he opened an account with a stocks/investment company using his own name and my husbands name, info, social, etc. A credit check was done on my husband also upon opening the account apparantly.

We were able to close the account, but now nervous about possible other accounts open in my husbands name that we dont know about or the possibility of it happening again. My husbands identity is constantly being stolen and we alway wondered why, and im assuming this could be the reason also.

I don't know much about this or what to do next, or if any legal action needs to be taken. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your husband should run his credit report. He can do it for free at You do not get your score but you get the entries. See what is there. Put a fraud complaint on anything false. If you are actually out money, file a police report.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.