Portland, ME asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Maine

Q: Can my Dad's astranged wife kick me out? Or take control of my dads estate?

My dad recently passed, his estranged wife has served me with an eviction notice. For the last 4 years I have lived with my Dad and been his sole care taker (I moved my entire family into his home to care for him). I am even his proxy for VA and SSI. He started the divorce proceedings but because of being disabled it wasn't completed. Can his estranged wife whom had nothing to do with him until now get everything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Guillory Esq
Robert Guillory Esq

A: First you need to see if he left a will. if so did he name a personal representative, if he did it was probably his wife unless he changed his will after filing for divorce. Second you need to check how the real estate was held ie joint tenants or tenants in common. If joint tenants as most people do then she owns the entire amount of the real estate and can evict you thorugh the court. If it was not joint tenants then you may be part owner and she may not be able to use the eviction process. you really need to gather up the paperwork and speak to a lawyer near you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.