Tiffin, OH asked in Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Ohio

Q: My son was assualted by his best friend's girl friend with a beer bottle. She was charged with Felonious Assault,

As she nicked a artery causing major bleeding. He required staples in his skull and they had to stich his face from the inside out as the wound was deep and very long. He will not be able to afford all of the medical bills and has lost work. He is also having horrible flash backs and what I believe is PTSD. How do we proceed, how do we help him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: As the victim of a crime, he is entitled to restitution for the damage done by the offender. You should get in touch with the prosecutor and provide him or her with proof of the costs. He could also file a civil lawsuit against her. But, a word of warning. Money doesn't magically appear because the court says someone has to pay. If she doesn't have any money to take, he may have a hard time collecting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.