Poplar Bluff, MO asked in Criminal Law for Missouri

Q: A letter was sent to my husband saying that the above referenced charges have been sent to State Prosecutors office for

Disposition. Accordingly you do not have to appear in municipal Court on such and such date. What do you gather out of that

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It sounds like your husband received a summons from the court notifying him that the Prosecutor has charged him with committing an offense. It's most likely just a minor traffic violation or parking ticket, since it states that he doesn't have to appear in court.

To find out what he's been charged with, he should call the court clerk.

With minor offenses, the defendant has the option of pleading guilty and paying the fine without being required to appear in court. However, if it's a speeding ticket or other moving violation that would cause points to be added to his driving record (and an increase in his car insurance rates), his best option would be to hire an attorney to get the ticket reduced to a non-moving, no-point infraction, rather than pleading guilty.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.