Brighton, MI asked in Family Law and Child Support for Michigan

Q: My son's father has his support taken from his pay check on a weekly basis, the employer is always a month behind

My son's father keeps a copy of every single pay stub from every pay check he receives from his employer, we have been back in forth with the friend of the court on getting on top of his employer in sending in payments. This last time we called our case worker they told us there was nothing they could do in order to take action against the employer to get them to submit payments on a timely manor. Every month my son's father has a balance because his employer is behind, is their any laws for the state of Michigan regarding employers and how long they have to submit payments once its been taken from the employees check?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I can understand the frustration, but what's not clear in the question is what harm has occurred. It doesn't sound like the FOC is holding these late payments against him, and presumably the mother is receiving a check every month or whatever. Certainly, your son is doing what he's supposed to do, and should not be faulted for his employer's actions—which it sounds like he isn't be faulted by anyone. I am unaware of any laws that would force an action on the employer other than they have a legal obligation—enforceable by the FOC—to comply with the garnishment order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.