Orlando, FL asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alabama

Q: Alabama: if my child's mother has custody of my daughter but DHR takes her from the mother, does she come to me?

My daughter was taken from her mother by DHR for unsafe living conditions. I pay child support every month. Would I have legal rights to my daughter? I just found out my daughter is now living with a non relative since being removed from her mother's care, and I was not made aware of any of this. Trying to figure out my rights.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Michael L Capleone

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Vestavia Hills, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Yes, you have rights. I would need more information to address this question. Maybe hire an attorney to help navigate through this potentially complicated situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.