Salt Lake City, UT asked in Car Accidents for Utah

Q: Someone is still threatening a lawsuit against me from an accident he caused 2.5 year ago, can i counter sue?

I was involved in a car accident in 2015 where the responding officer unfairly ticketed me as the cause of the accident when the person I hit made a blind turn. I fought the ticket and won and both insurance companies accepted he was 100% at fault. Now, 2.5 yrs later, hes still threatening suit for damages from medical bills he claims are linked to the accident (doubtful). Is there any legal action I could bring against him for the constant threat of suit? These threats are made to our insurance and not us directly but were kept in the loop. Does emotional distress count here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: From what you have stated, I don't think so. A claim for Intentional/Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress requires a showing of something truly horrific. Making threats against your insurance company would not qualify. If they were constantly in contact with you and threatening you directly, then you could ask for a no-contact order or a protective order in criminal court, but that is not the case either.

I think that the best course of action would be to tell your insurance company not to keep you in the loop. He will either file something (doubtful) or not. Your notice of his threatenings only serves to waste your time and resources thinking about it. There is no preemptive action you can do, you will have to just wait to see if he will do anything.

I hope this helps.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.