Brooklyn, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: I received a summons in 2012 I paid it with a money order how do I get a receipt online

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You probably can't from the courts side, but rather would have to go in person. I would call the clerk of the court where you paid the summons and inquire. That said, you could contact the company who issued the money order and, if you have a reference # or maybe even just your name and the recipient's name, you can get a receipt from the side of the money order.

If you cannot find a receipt and you need to somehow provide proof of payment, the next best thing is for you to draft/have an attorney draft (but you should be able to find an example online) an affirmation stating you were issued the summons and you paid it onetime, but lost the original receipt and could not obtain a copy.

Hope this helps,

Aubrey C. Galloway III, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.