Fort Worth, TX asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: If i robbed a drug dealer and he has footage of me on his property he is using as extortion, does he really have a case?

I robbed a drug dealer of his narcotics and a neighbor has me on footage in the drug dealers back yard at the approximate time. He is threatening to go to the police unless i pay him money. I can prove he distributes to minors that he is dealing in felony quantities of narcotics. If i turn him in will they still try to prosecute me. I am on deferred to adjudication/probation. I cant not have any run ins with the law. Should i turn him in or not. Im worried if i turn him in wothout making sure first then he will use the footage he has been using for extortion against me and that will be a probation violation for me. I know i messed up but i need some help. This happened before i went on probation for the record. I was in a hard spot trying to make up on court fees. Now that i am on probation and essentially beat the case i am trying to comlletely turn over a new leaf and go straight. Im trying to get a new job now that i dont have a pending felony case but i dont want him to change that

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Grant St Julian III

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Stop admitting to felonies on social media. Your situation is a total mess. Should you report a felony before someone reports a different felony on you? Consider the two actions totally independent of one another. Your acquaintance will or will not report the robbery to the police, and reporting him as a drug dealer will have no affect on whether you are prosecuted for another charge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.