Hillsboro, OR asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: Can I force a company to give my own personal information when I am victim of identity theft?

I was a victim of a theft in May, and I found out I am now I victim of identity theft now. The person who stole my wallet used my identity to rent and steal a vehicle. The company pursuing me has given the last 4 of the credit card used, but this card was never one I owned. Pulled credit report, no odd things there. I am now worried that the suspect applied for a credit card without a SSN or ITIN. I've asked the company to see if the transaction matched my legal name and if it does provide the issuing bank, but they say it is against policy to provide anything. Can I force the company perusing me to provide more information about the initial transaction?

If I do find out later that the criminal did in fact used my ID to sign up for credit without SSN and ITIN (as some banks can), can I sue the rental company for losses since they could of prevented more fraud and ID theft from happening?

1 Lawyer Answer

Dale S. Gribow

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

initially i would try to get what i need by reporting to police.

then i would retain a lawyer with experience in this area of law.

I am sorry you are going through this but there are so many bad guys out there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.