Dallas, TX asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: Will my kids father loose his rights because of a felony abuse charge?

My children's father is the non-custodial parent. 3 years ago he was dating a girl that had a daughter. He has been in and out of our kids lives because of drugs. So it's unclear to me exactly what happened but he was charged with Injury to a child/elderly/or disabled person with the intent to cause bodily harm. He never complied with his 5yr probation so he is now being sentenced to TDCJ. For 6 years I have been saving to take his rights away because of his drug use. I know he will fight me even though he's hardly in their lives. I read that a judge may revoke parental rights to a parent if they are charged with a felony like his.

Is this true?

Do I need to initiate the process to revoke his rights with a lawyer or can it be done without representation?

Just some general information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is unlikely that anything will happen automatically without you hiring a local Family Law attorney to explore possibilities to further restrict or eliminate this person's access to his children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.