Philadelphia, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: Hello, I’m separated now for a little over a year, who can I go to to help me? My finances are not good.

The divorce should be easy but we will fight about our home. I have moved out after I found out my husband was engaging with other females. I have put myself in debt to live on my own. All I want is to be free of the mortgage and get my half of equity so I can start over. However my husband has modified our mortgage with out me knowing about and forged my signature, to get the deal done. I’m lost don’t know what to do. I don’t want to be obligated to the home if something was to happen to him. Please advice. Thank you, for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kathryn Hilbush

  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: First, please do not use your name when you post of these public websites. If you live in Philadelphia,there's a small chance Legal Assistance of Southeaster Pennsylvania can assist you or at least provide you with information on filing for divorce. Most of the local law schools have free legal clinics but I don't think they're open when tschool's not in regular session. You can also google "free legal assistance in Philadelphia. " There are several groups in the city who may be able to help. Lastly you can contact the Philadelphia Bar Association to see if they have a pro bono or reduced fee attorney panel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.