Philadelphia, PA asked in Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: What can I do to NOT allow the state to stop my child support? Ex owes over $20,000.00. They said they are stopping it.

He owes over 20,000.00 and I got a letter saying they are modifying it because of PA. R.C.P.1910.19(f). I can't believe they are allowed to do it. They just don't want to waste money looking for him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kathryn Hilbush

  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Follow the instructions on the letter you received. It tells you how to advise DRO that you oppose this action. They'll schedule you for a hearing. Be sure not to miss the deadline for doing this. Then, if the problem is they don't know where he is, do some work yourself and try to help with solid information. In my experience, somebody you know also knows where he is. The state is not equipped to hire private investigators to locate people. A lot of that burden falls on you so, if you want your money, help out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.