San Antonio, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: Can I file charges on my ex?

One night in January my ex hit me across the face then after I went to sleep he woke me up choking me so hard I thought he was going to kill me. That night he also removed everything I owned from the home and took my trhibgs to random dumpster and threw away. He left me with a busted blood vessel in eye and I took picture. Another time s couple weeks later he broke my $800 phone and pushed me out of a short window of our bedroom leaving me with huge bruise which I also have picture of. He proceeded to break 3 replacement phone after this beyond repair. I was too afraid to do anything at the time. He has now moved to a different state and we are no longer together and I finally feel safe to file charges if I even have a case. I should also mention he has pending harrasment charges from his girlfriend before me. He is also on Federal probation for weapons charges after violating a protective order against him from his ex.

1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Contact the police in the city where the assault occurred. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.