Albany, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: What can I do to help my brother with criminal theft charge being thrown at him? (NY, Saratoga County)

My brother is 26 years old, he was getting groceries at walmart at a self check out and while talking with someone missed scanning a single item worth $30. Before he made it a few feet a security officer stopped him, went through his bag, and pulled out the item informing him that he didn't pay for it. My brother apologized and pulled out money to pay explaining it was a mistake. They wanted none of it, the security guard even radioed "Got one" and they called the police and banned him. Police officer explained the charge would probably be dropped based on the situation and my brother was 100% cooperative. The DA however said because he had gotten into minor trouble(small stuff like led lights on the bottom of his car) 8-10 years ago, even though he has been doing well even passed the test for correction officer for the state and the county sheriff exam, he wants him to plead guilty. I know its his job but the DA sounded prejudice. Adjourned 30 days. PD has 15 other cases, unreliable.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Hire him a lawyer. We offer competitive prices for top quality representation. Contact us at 9149121555 by texting “legal inquiry” or via web at for a free phone consultation.

Hopefully I can guide you in the right direction… Aubrey

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.