Maryville, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: How is the best way to apply for papers for my husband? We will b married for 2years in jan 2019.

Although married for2 yrs we have been together since jan 2010. He was brought here when he was 15 in 2006. He was never enrolled in school. His parents sent him here from Guatemala to save his life. He has a tax id# but thats all

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You would file a visa petition on his behalf, and he would need to return to Guatemala to attend a visa interview.

In addition, because he has been in the country for more than a year without permission, he will need a waiver to overcome unlawful presence.

This is very doable, but the process is long and complicated. We recommend talking with an immigration attorney about specific issues in your husband’s case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.