Atlanta, GA asked in Estate Planning for Alabama

Q: If you remarry in Alabama who do you leave your house to? Your new spouse or your kids from a previous marriage?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The basic answer is that a person may leave their home to the beneficiary of their choice, be it a new spouse or children from a previous marriage. However, when a person remarries and does not have a prenuptial agreement, the surviving spouse will have certain rights in the estate of the deceased. It is important to have an awareness of these default rights when planning an estate. For example:

1. A surviving spouse can remain in the home during the course of the administration

2. A surviving spouse can claim certain expenses and exemptions (resulting in a monetary award from the estate)

3. A surviving spouse can claim an "elective share" and receive one-third of an estate

In order to avoid disputes at the death of the home owner, I would recommend crafting an estate plan involving the new spouse. It may even warrant a post-nuptial agreement to confirm what is supposed to happen at the death of either spouse.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.