Cicero, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: Should a non-parent; a cousin file for custody or guardianship for children in their care?

Children are living with cousin and cousin needs to be able to obtain medical/dental insurance for children and get assistance for children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Yes, you may file a petition to change custody as the petitioners and the parents the respondents. At the first few hearings you will try to come to an agreement (like 4 way legal custody but primary physical custody with you. Trial or not, the legal standard to change/modify custody is what is "in the best interest of the child.

We handle these so call 9149121555 for a free consultation

In depth 2 hour initial consultation at office is $50

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.