Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Support and Family Law for Arizona

Q: Will an arrears balance cause a legal business/personal issue, even if the NCP is paying monthly?

The NCP in our case has a considerable arrears balance (over 20k). The NCP pays monthly, as ordered, toward current and future child support. Recently, he offered an unacceptably low settlement offer on the arrears and seems to impatiently and angrily reaching out to family and friends about arrears. Is it possible that just having an arrears balance is holding him back from getting business licenses , financing or liquor licenses? What kind of licenses are impacted by having just a balance?

He runs all his businesses through shell companies / LLCs which I thought were basically untouchable.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randi Sirlin
Randi Sirlin
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You can easily research which licenses he might not be able to receive with a child support judgment.

I am not sure what an "NCP" is, but unless there is a judgment, I can't imagine anything would hold up his licenses.

I don't know the particular facts about his finances, but $20,000 is not that much for someone who owns businesses. He could likely get a check from a credit card company to pay that debt.

If it was me, I would definitely bring up the shell companies. Regarding LLCs, they are really for purposes of limiting liability. If they are making money, you should be able to show he has income to pay the child support arrears more quickly.

If you have a case number (which you should have), you can certainly subpoena his records, including bank and credit card records and if he is a sole member of an LLC, you can get records for bank and credit card information also, to show what he really can or cannot pay.

I would ask him to provide documentation (official documentation-not a letter from a potential lender) to prove to you that he cannot qualify for the licenses.

However, it should be his primary concern to pay you the child support.

Nothing in this answer is intended to provide legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.