Powder Springs, GA asked in Family Law and Divorce for Georgia

Q: Can my soon to be EX, without my knowledge, access my IRA account, change the password/username, and withdraw my money?

I filed for divorce last year, after being married 19 years. Approximately a week later, my soon to be EX accessed my simple IRA account (my only retirement account) and blocked my access. He pretended to be me and changed the username, password, all contact information on file, and connected the IRA to another bank account with his name on it. He then withdrew all the money in the account over the next 7 months, all without my knowledge. He has several investment, retirement, and other accounts that I have no access to, but he emptied my only retirement account. he has also been moving money and keeping our main family account balance low. He did it in the attempt to prevent me from hiring another attorney to finalize the divorce. The investment company said that's identity fraud and to see if there are any legal repercussions for him and if I can get the money he took back in the divorce process. Can I get the money back? Are there any repercussions for his illegal behavior?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Ellaretha Coleman

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Unfortunately, this will need to be dealt with in the divorce action. The good news is that you know of other financial resources your husband has so that increases the chances that the funds will still be available to recoup. His actions would be in violation of most domestic relations standing orders. You should verify if there is an existing standing order in the county where your divorce is pending. If he is in violation of the standing order, you need to file an action for contempt for his violation right away to deal with this issue as soon as possible.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Homer P Jordan IV

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You will certainly want to address this during the divorce. You should consult with an attorney who can review the facts of your case and help you plan the proper course of action. That's going to be the best way to protect yourself. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558 HomerJordan.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.