Ligonier, PA asked in Adoption and Car Accidents for Pennsylvania

Q: I had my children out of wedlock fathers is on the birth certificate and also singed the. Paternity. Does he have rig

He also hasn’t been in their lives for over 5 years, the last time he asked to see them was August 1 2014 or 2015, he doesn’t pay his court order support, and now after 5 years and that he’s “clean” he thinks he come right back into their lives... do I have to let him, I have a man that has raised them for two years and wants to adopt them. This is all in the state of pa

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You may have waited too long. One of the ways to demonstrate to the court that a parent's rights should be terminated is to show that, for a period of at least six months immediately preceding the filing of the petition, there was no performance of parental duties, including contacting the child. Since he's clearly done that, you may have missed out. Also, the court usually won't terminate the parental rights unless here is a pending adoption and that is usually expected to be by a stepparent, not a boyfriend. You might want to talk to a local attorney experienced in adoptions about your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.