Compton, CA asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for California

Q: What will happen at court for a car accident with no insurance?

I got into a car accident on July 27th 2018. I had no insurance but was in the process of obtaining it. Next day after the accident, I finally have insurance. No one was injured in the accident. It was just scratches and couple minor dents.

I have court on the 25th of September, 2018.

What do you think will happen?

• Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Not sufficient facts to answer your question. But, let's assume you were the cause of the accident. First, you stand to lose your driver's license if you do not present proof of insurance to the DMV. I you have money and property, then you may be liable for all the expenses to the injured person. If you were the injured person, then, you may only recover for economic damages and out of pocket damages but not for pain and suffering because the insurance lobby got the law passed that drivers without insurance should not get compensatory damages. Hope this answers your question. Best of luck!!!!

• Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It depends on what the purpose of the hearing is. A personal injury case. A ticket for lack of insurance. Getting in an accident without insurance is punishable by a fine and suspension of your drivers license for 1 year. You can get a license to allow you to drive to work and back. You might consider getting a consultation with a criminal defense attorney to discuss your case in detail so that you can find out whether anything can be done. Consultations are usually free.

1 user found this answer helpful