Lewisville, TX asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma

Q: Can they press domestic charges against my s/o with witness accounts only. having never seen me or me talked me?

There was a one sided domestic dispute between my s/o and I. My daughter was in the car and it took place outside the vehicle. Two strangers saw the incident called the police. A react van happened to stop took my dL info then asked me questions but all I said was I'm fine I'm okay. Then we went ahead and left, never speaking or talking to the officers. Now I have a sheriff calling me non stop. Asking me to speak alone and to tell him a little about the incident. he tried to slip in "can I get your name for the recording." So I just hung up and I'm not wanting to speak in fear of putting my foot in my mouth. Which there was a lot more at play then outwards perspective. But do not want to incriminate myself or anyone but they've been calling non stop and sent someone out for a wellness check since I'm in another county then to my grandmothers in their county. can they press charges, or are they rying to build a case from eye witnesses alone? or is that even possible...okay thank you

2 Lawyer Answers

Pete David Louden

  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you are asking if eye witness testimony can be used in a domestic violence proceeding, the answer would be yes. If there is sufficient evidence of a crime the DA can file criminal charges.

Keegan Kelley Harroz

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Yes, they can create charges based on 3rd party witnesses. You and your significant other need to hire an attorney to represent each of you in this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.