Q: What can we do against a false allegation of child sexual abuse (Abuse of a minor by a minor)?

My sister-in-law claims that my son, who is 15 years old has sexually abused her youngest daughter who is 5 years old after having had a one-on-one conversation with her and having taken her to a psychologist. She has threatened us to legally proceed against our son and us, and she will go as far as making us lose our green card, since my family and I are all U.S. residents. I have spoken to my son, and he is completely unbeknownst about the matter and distraught about the false accusation. I do not want this issue to psychologically and legally affect him, and I want to prove to authorities the legitimacy of my son´s statements.

1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hire a criminal defense attorney. There is no recourse against a false accusation except defending yourself unless your son is the victim of intentional misconduct. It would be a very difficult case to claim that a 5 year old was intentionally lying and that a psychologist was intentionally lying.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.