Tacoma, WA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina

Q: I am completing the form AOC-E-506 for my grandmother (2015) and grandfather's (2017) estates as an annual account in NC

I have payments for storage, legal fees, accountants, flights/hotels/car rentals (to handle estate), cleaning supplies (for property), utilities/insurance/property taxes(all of which I am not sure I was even allowed to pay, but not sure what to do about it now). I am not sure where these go on the form. I have stocks to cash in that aren't sold (dividend checks were deposited), we are selling the house and another piece of property as well (not sure if it is willed to the estate).

Settling my grandmother's estate as well that should have been closed out by my grandfather. I have transferred her stocks into my grandfather's estate name, but now have had to open an estate account in my grandmother's name to cash her checks. I have everything notated in an excel sheet with a description, but I am not sure if they will like the form not filled in. Have an IRA listed on the inventory that I am still not sure will go the Estate,because bank is saying it will go to the surviving children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sara W. Harrington
Sara W. Harrington
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Carrboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It sounds like you've been doing a lot of the right things, but you could use the assistance of an attorney experienced in estate administration/probate to help you make sure you take care of all the small details that may fall through the cracks. I recommend you contact a local estate attorney for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.