Memphis, TN asked in Family Law and Adoption for Tennessee

Q: Me and my mother have agreed that she adopt my 13 year old daughter in tennessee. What is the process if we both agree?

My mother has had my daughter since she was 9 days old. She wants to adopt and I agree with it. Our family has a good close bond and we agree that it is best for the child. My mother also want to waive any child support or arrearages that I may have and waive any financial or any other responsibilities I may have for the child. Can we go through any agency that is low cost or free since we are in agreement or do we need a lawyer so there are specifications documented in the petition. Or can we simply file a motion because she is already in my mother's custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You need a competent attorney to prosecute the Adoption action. It is not simple, and most importantly, both your's and the Father's rights in the Child must be Terminated. The Chancellor may wish to appoint a Guardian Ad Litem. It is much easier if the Father agrees to give up his rights and testifies at Court. The Mother will need a decent Husband also.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.