Quincy, MA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island

Q: My tenants changed the lock and refuse to give me a copy of the key. What should I do?

They changed the lock few months ago, and never provided me the copy of the key, I am selling the property and ask her for a copy, she refused for me to show the apartment nor give me a copy of the key.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If the lease agreement specifically does not allow changing the locks or making changes to the property, you are entitled to change the locks back and charge the tenant for the expenses incurred during the process. The cost is typically deducted from the deposit at the end of the tenancy. Read the lease to see if it does not changing the locks or making changes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.