Cincinnati, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Are my brother and sister in law breaking laws and do I have a case against them?

I live in Batavia, Oh, in the front bedroom of my brother's house. There was an agreement made that I pay 200 a month but no lease agreement as made and signed. Is this legal? I have proof with my bank statement that I have paid but they refused to give me a receipt or any documtation showing that they received payment. What can I do and do I have a case against them with my bank statement?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Joseph Jaap

  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Do you have a case for what? If your bank statement shows a canceled check to them, that should be proof for most any purpose. A written lease is not required, but there can be a dispute over rental terms. If there is no written lease, it is a month to month tenancy, and a month to month tenancy can be terminated at the end of any month by either landlord or tenant by giving 30 days notice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.