Mesa, AZ asked in Child Custody for Arizona

Q: Can unmarried mother of 6 mo child move out of AZ, if father wants child to stay? Lived together 3 yrs, no court orders.

Mother employed with clean record, income and health insurance for child. - Father unemployed, heavy alcohol user and recent admitted meth drug user. Neither parent has filed for custody in courts. Mother left shared rental unit with child after father admitted meth use. Is it required mother get court approved custody or can she just leave with child? Can she also move out of state?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randi Sirlin
Randi Sirlin
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Until recently, the answer to your question was a yes. Now it is more complex, If the Father signed the birth certificate at the hospital.

However, there are ways through the Courts to get permission to move and though various motions.

I recommend contacting an experienced family law attorney to help you out further.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.