Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: If a disabled man gets forcibly removed from his home and then beat and choked, can I defend him?

My disabled neighbor got pulled out of his home and then beat and choked by his daughters boyfriends dad.

I heard the noise and thought it was my sister getting beat so I ran over and opened the fence and saw the disabled man being choked and turning blue. I asked the aggressor to stop and let him go. He didn't. So I used reasonable force and hit the man. He still wouldn't let go. I asked him once more and when he didn't let go, I hit him one more time and he finally let go.

Was I justified?

EDIT : The police were called. And the aggressor pressed a battery charge on me because he had everyone in the home lie and say the disabled man did not live there. We have all the proof we need including videos and statements from neighbors and the landlady to prove otherwise.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: And after you saw this man committing a horrible crime you didn't report it to the police. Unbelievable!

So next time when you are not around he is free to do it again

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.