Asked in Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Does a biological dad have rights to see his child if he isn't on the birth certificate?

My sister has a husband who is not the biological dad of this child and neither his or the biological dads name is on the birth certificate but later a DNA was taken and now the biological dad wants to be in the child's life. Does he have rights to see his kid even though he's not on the birth certificate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Joseph Jaap

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A court must grant biological father parental rights. Name on or off birth certificate is not enough. He should use the Find a Lawyer tab and retain a local family law attorney to advise him and file in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.