Detroit, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: My child's father always supports our baby. We want to file for joint custody. I don't want child support. Possible?

We've always come to agree on everything with our child and unborn baby. He has always been present and supported his children. I'm leaving, and we want joint custody. I do not want him to pay child support because he takes care of our child with me, I don't think it's necessary nor does he.

1 Lawyer Answer

Brent T. Geers

  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It's possible, especially if the child is not receiving state assistance. If there is state assistance involved, there will be a guidelines child support order in place to reimburse the state. That would be enforced by the state and neither of you would have a say in that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.