Antioch, TN asked in Civil Litigation for Tennessee

Q: I filed a detainer warrant to have my ex evicted from my apartment but I missed my court date. What do i need to do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Leonard Robert Grefseng

  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: if more than 10 days have expired since the court date, you will have to re-file the case and pay another filing fee. In other words, just start over. If less than 10 days, you could appeal the dismissal , but the costs of an appeal may be more than just re-filing. Check with the court clerk to see if they will re-set the case (but I suspect this will only work if you have a GOOD reason for missing court).

Frank J. Steiner

  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Refile

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.