Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: I have been given my granddaughter because my daughter was served with an order of protection from her ex boyfriend

And my granddaughter is a protected person should I file a non parent to establish legal decision making in loco parentis

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randi Sirlin
Randi Sirlin
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If the mother and the father have a case which was filed with the Maricopa Superior Court, you can file as a "third party" intervening in that case," and should be able to accomplish your goals, unless the Father objects. If that happens, the case becomes more fact specific.

If the parents do not have anything filed with the Court (or domesticated by the Court, you can file for guardianship. The statutes and rules are not the same as the statutes and rules for family court.

I recommend you contact an experienced family law attorney to assist you, and one who is familiar with the rules under the probate statutes..

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.