Bar Harbor, ME asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: Can I now legally leave a property to someone (as of my death) if the property has not yet been distributed to me?

The creators of the Trust have died, and one of the beneficiaries is the designated Successor Trustee. The said Trustee is instructed explicitly to distribute the Trust assets as described. It has been over 10 years and he hasn't done so. There are no provisions in the trust documents that suggest any delays of distribution. One of the assets is a property bequeathed to me. Unless and until I can get the property distributed to me, is there a way for me to legally leave the property to someone upon my death? I want to be sure the Successor Trustee can't pre-empt my decision.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You can provide in your estate planning documents that any real property obtained from this trust pass to the person you designate. However, the more immediate concern seems to be obtaining the property from the Trust. I recommend reviewing the language of this Trust with an attorney to verify that the trustee is acting in accordance with the instructions of the Trustor(s). If he is not, he can be compelled to act or, in some cases, he can be removed. Your attorney will let you know your legal rights once he or she knows all of the facts.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.