Evansville, IN asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Kentucky

Q: Can you ask that grandparents be excluded and dismissed if they are manipulating custody orders??

My daughter's father and I were never married. He resides 2 hours and 6 minutes away from me with a 1 hour time difference. When I found out I was pregnant he had to talk to his parents before he would talk to me. He is 35 years old. He came back asking if I would consider abortion. His parents convinced him a baby would be an inconvenience. I said no. He then considered signing over his rights, but his parents still wanted a relationship with their grandchild (basically he would get out of any legal obligations or responsibilities). I said no. We came up with an agreement between the two of us. A few months late he asked for a paternity test (his parents idea). After my daughter was born his lawyer drew up an agreement and it was signed and followed. Before he even started his overnight visitation he pushed his lawyer to take me back to court for full or 50/50 custody. He says our original agreement is one sided and unfair. His parents are the ones wanting 50/50.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If you can prove grandparents are manipulating the orders, you can probably prevail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.