Evansville, IN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Kentucky

Q: Grandparents alienating situation

Father & I never married. Both live in KY. He lives over 2 hours away (over 100 miles) & 1 hour ahead. Grandparents live in different state. My daughter is not even 2 and he is asking for full or 50/50 custody. Grandparents have encouraged, influenced father to ask for this and to get him out of paying child support. He works 3 jobs, has no family living in the same state as us, he's not married and has no other children. Can I ask that his parents be excluded from court for trying to alienate the parental agreement. They've been a problem since beginning. We signed parental agreement in early 2017 with lawyers. Both agreeing. Now he's saying that agreement is unfair and one sided before he even started overnight visits with daughter. I believe it's truly his parents who want more custody not father. He wants out of paying child support and wants out of having to drive to pick her up. Help.

1 Lawyer Answer

Timothy Denison

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You can’t really bar the grandparents from communicating with the son but you can show they are manipulating him to pursue custody for their agenda, not his. Custody visitation and child support are always modifiable so you need to be able to show that equal time is NOT in the best interests of the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.