Colorado Springs, CO asked in Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: Someone filed a lien against my property. This is not a contractor, it is a person who claims I owe them money. Plz advz

How to we have lien removed? It appears that only contractors, etc are able to use mechanics' liens (which this is not) and any other valid liens must be ordered/approved by the court prior to being filed (this is not the case here either).

What should we do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Donald C Eby

  • Castle Rock, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You may want to have an attorney bring suit to remove the improper lien. If this is not a contractor or supplier of materials for the land or if you have not pledged the land as collateral for a loan, it is likely that this is a faulty lien and you may be able to collect damages.

James Alan Greer

  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Dear Liened Property Owner: In order for a lien to be "properly" recorded onto the title of your property it must either have been: (1) from a supplier of construction labor, services, materials; (2) a judgment creditor; or (3) a lender. The lien itself will describe the claimant (names and address), so you should have some idea of who this person/entity purports to be. You can start by directly contacting the claimant and trying to understand the basis for the lien. If that does not achieve a willingness from the claimant to voluntarily release the lien, then I recommend a strongly worded Legal Demand Letter. If that fails, your next alternative is an action in District Court for "unlawful disparagement of title". Oftentimes attorneys fees can be claimed in that action under notions of fraud and bad faith. JIM GREER is an attorney licensed to practice in CO and CA and has specialized in real estate matters for the past 30 years; nothing herein shall be construed as the offering of legal advice insofar as Mr. Greer is not in an attorney-client capacity with the inquiring party. 303.818.8422

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.