Davis, CA asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Business Formation and Internet Law for California

Q: what should i do if i was cheated by a cheater who pretended to of me a job?

i am now a international student as a freshman study in UC Davis. And last week i got a email about a offer of part time workspace, i went to the email and talked with the people who handle the email, and he did not tell me his real name. But i (just too curious that time) trusted him, and he gave me a check, and let me cash the check, and he want me to buy gift card for him to pay the balance for suppliers ( at that time i did know what he mean about supplier, but i trusted him). He gave me a list of things i need to do about my job, but actually when i finished the task which was to buy 1700 dollar gift card he told me by texts on the phone, he disappear, whatever i tried to contact him by message on phone, he did not respond. today, just after two day no respond by the cheater, i received another message on phone that the sender said he was a lawyer who would handle the case for me: the case he said was that: the cheater who pretended to be my employer had been caught. no space writ

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: You have been scammed and you are being scammed again.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you were scammed.

check to be sure you are not being scammed again.

go to the state bar to see if the person is a lawyer and has the same number s/he left for you.

be sure you report to local police

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: Unfortunately, there are many check scams like this out there. If the perpetrator is caught, authorities could demand restitution, but there are so many of these scams out there that government resources to pursue and bring them to justice are stretched thin.

Tim Akpinar