Gilberts, IL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Boyfriend moving in, can that change child support obligation.

If my boyfriend and his 2 children move in to my house with me and my kids, would my income be included when they compute his child support obligation to his ex wife for his children? She seems to think it will. Also, can my ex husband use my boyfriends income to recalculate what he owes me? My boyfriend and I are not married, or engaged. Just living together. Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The income of one's new spouse or live-in significant other cannot be used when determining child support obligations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.