Kingsport, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: my son and his ex girlfriend have a 3 yr old son. its been over a year since she let him see him. does he have rights?

We pay her money to help her out every month for childcare son hasnt had a job in a while, but he should still b able to see him. Its hurting the child to not see his dad.... when he was 1 1/2 yrs old she told my son that the child may not be his. She had been sleeping with my sons best friend at the same time. The child did turn out to be my sons.. and now she is pregnant with my sons ex best friends child and she will not let my son see his child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Leonard Robert Grefseng

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If there is has never been a court proceeding to establish or confirm paternity, he needs to file a request for that in the county where the child resides, The Judge in that case will set child support and a "parenting time" schedule which allow BOTH parents to have time with the child. If she refuses to obey the court ordered schedule, she can be held in contempt of court and punished ( Jail!). Consult an experienced family law attorney for specific advice on your situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.