Knoxville, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: My daughter's biological father (never married no parenting plan) is refusing to let her go on a camping trip.

The leader is not wanting to get in the middle of it (cant blame him) and now want proof of custody. I have no documents saying I have 100% custody. Would showing the leader Tennessee Code Section 36-2-303 be enough or do I have to call down to the Child Support Court and ask for documentation? Thank you for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Leonard Robert Grefseng

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You are correct on the statute- however, if there was a child support case, there may be an order confirming paternity and that order might also state you are the primary residential parent. If his name is not on the child's birth certificate, you might show him that also along with the statute.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.