Upland, CA asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: Going through divorce and trying to get custody of my kids.

Going through divorce and trying to get custody of my kids.

I have 2 minors with my soon to be ex- wife. She had a 4 month old when I met her and then we got married. So I have three daughters. My oldest step daughter is already 6 years old. I've supported her financially and I'm her dad because I raised her. I need to clarify that I never adopted her. My question is, can I include her in my custody case or am I wasting my time even trying?

1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, you can include her. In a divorce, parentage can be adjudicated. But if you think she's going to contest you on that, it may make sense to file a parentage case under the presumed parentage code.

You should consult with an attorney to determine the best course of action.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.