San Francisco, CA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: My child's father refuses to pay child support, what resources do I have? and how can I get him to help pay for daycare?

I was receiving child support up until I won a court decision that allowed me to enroll my son into daycare. His father had been doing everything in his power to keep me from enrolling him in daycare. He wants me to give him full custody. So much so I was unable to work in order to take care of my son, therefore I made no money which compounded the problem. Once I received permission to enroll him in daycare his father stopped paying child support and even with getting a second job I was unable to afford the exorbitant costs of daycare. I have asked his father over and over and he refuses to pay. I barely make $48K a year in the bay area and I need assistance. We currently share custody of my son 60/40 He is with me Monday to Thursday and with his day Thursday evening until Sunday evening. There has to be some law to help me especially if he has part custody.

1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Contact your county's Department of Child Support Services to open an enforcement case. Bring your existing child support order. They'll be able to assist.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.