Monroeville, PA asked in Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: Is it normal in PA for the parent making the most to pay child support, even if they have primary custody?

I make $3900 from veterans disability and have my kids, and pay my ex alimony and child support. It is not court ordered because I don’t want this to go to court. I am afraid she will take the kids. We technically have shared custody, but the children live with me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kathryn Hilbush

  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: No, that's not normal but I assume that your order is based on having 50/50 custody. If you want to change that officially, you'd probably have to file a petition to modify the order with the court. perhaps you would benefit from having an in person consultation with an experienced family law attorney in your area. In your meeting you can discuss both your situation as well as your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.