Orlando, FL asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: Can I request and get approved a reduction in child support if my financial situation has changed?

I have a order for child support for my 3 children based on $16hr. When the order was put in I was living with my mother so I had no real bills to pay (no rent, electricity, water etc)

I make the same money but have since moved out and now have things like rent, electricity, water, sewage, cable etc to pay.

Can I get my child support changed now that my money needs to stretch farther and financial situation has changed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Rand Scott Lieber

  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Child support is based on each parent's income, not their expenses. If you are earning the same amount it will probably not warrant a decrease in child support.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.