Houston, TX asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Texas

Q: I just got terminated from my work. I have approximately 85 hours of vacation time I accrued. Can they keep it?

Do they have to give me my earned vacation pay?

1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Many times it may depend on the employer's policies. I will provide you a link to the Texas Payday" laws with TWC which I am sure will provide the answers you seek. Good luck.

Final Wages

Delivery of final wages can be made by the methods listed above. If an employee is laid off, discharged, fired, or otherwise involuntarily separated from employment, the final pay is due within six (6) calendar days of discharge. If the employee quits, retires, resigns, or otherwise leaves employment voluntarily, the final pay is due on the next regularly-scheduled payday following the effective date of resignation.

If an employee resigns or gives notice they will be resigning, there is no provision in the Payday Law requiring employers to continue to employ the person until the date they intended to resign or to pay them beyond time they actually work.

An employee may be entitled to unused wages for fringe benefits (vacation, holiday, sick leave, parental leave or severance pay) only if the employer provides for these benefits in a written policy or agreement.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.